The aftermath of a flood or water-related emergency can leave our homes vulnerable and in need of serious cleaning. In addition to the stress and disruption that comes with water damage, there is also the added risk of mold growth if not addressed properly. Mold is the leading cause of numerous health issues that can range from mild allergies to serious respiratory problems. In this blog post, we will discuss some DIY tips for cleaning a house after mold growth and the safety precautions that should be taken.
Our certified professionals at Bio-One of South OC can take care of the situation if the cleaning is too complicated.
Before starting the cleanup process, you have to assess the extent of the damage. This will help you determine if the cleanup can be done on your own or if professional help is required. Standing water and excessive moisture can lead to mold growth within 24-48 hours, so time is of the essence.
To assess the damage, check for visible signs of mold such as discoloration, musty odor, and water stains on walls or ceiling. It is also important to check hidden areas like under the carpet or behind drywall for any signs of mold. If the affected area is larger than 10 square feet, it is recommended to seek professional assistance.
Identifying and resolving the source of the mold problem is an essential step before starting to clean the affected areas. Common causes include leaky pipes, poor ventilation, water damage, flooding, sewage backups, and more. By rectifying the issue at the source, you can prevent future mold growth.
Mold can grow on various surfaces such as drywall, wood, carpet, and even clothing. However, it thrives in warm and humid environments. If you live in a humid climate, pay special attention to your home ventilation and use dehumidifiers to reduce moisture levels.
Image by malshakov on Freepik
Once the source of the mold problem is resolved, you can start cleaning the affected areas. Use a mixture of bleach and water to clean surfaces affected by mold. Be sure to thoroughly scrub the area and rinse it with clean water. If the mold growth is extensive, it’s best to call in professionals who have the necessary equipment and training to handle the situation.
Always wear protective gear (gloves and rubber boots) while removing water. Also, be cautious of any electrical hazards that may be present due to the water damage.
When cleaning a house after mold or water damage, contaminated items may need to be thrown away. Carpets, upholstered furniture, and wooden or porous materials are items typically hard to clean and may continue to harbor mold even after cleaning. Be sure to properly dispose of these materials responsibly, following any local regulations regarding hazardous waste disposal.
It’s important to remember that mold can be a serious health hazard, especially black mold. If you are unsure about the severity of the mold growth, it’s best to call in professionals who have the necessary equipment and training to handle the situation. Bio-One is a certified company that can help. Our professionals will take care of the situation quickly and safely. Stay safe, be proactive about mold growth, and don't hesitate to call us for help!